Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Shooting Beavers

What did you learn new today?

Entering the car after work today proved to be a particular challenge. Women are simply amazing the feats that they conquer just in wearing specific clothing alone. Today, I realized that sometimes as a woman getting into a car when a skirt is a certain length can prove to be extremely challenging, especially if you want to remain modest and discrete.   So leaving my center today I was talking to a friend and doing my best to get in the car and avoid as my dad taught me the saying "shoot a beaver". We got the giggles because she could see my struggles and she taught me a whole new way to enter.

Previously I  was lifting my skirt up over my knees high enough to bend and usually it was not a pretty sight I just went as fast as I could, when she simply said, Amy did you ever try sitting then sliding you legs in. I started laughing in all my 40 years and dress wearing moments I had never learned this simple beaver saving technique. Then my mind began to wonder. What else could be so simple if I were to make myself more open to help? Where have I been making life harder than needed? Then, again my mind began to wonder as I heard my dad laughing the first time he taught me that term shoot a beaver? I wanted to know where the term came from and I realized I never had actually looked it up so here is my gift to you.

From Etymology Online,
In colonial times it was thought that prostitutes spread venereal diseases through contact with their pubic area, so the women were made "bald" in that area for health reasons. However, their clients did not like that look and business began to suffer. Therefore, pubic wigs, called merkins, were manufactured for the prostitutes. These merkins were made out of beaver pelts. Hence the term beaver.

There are so many opportunities for us to learn in every moment and to see these moments as gifts to make our lives better. Where are you missing your opportunities because you are attached to habits that may make things more difficult than they need to be? Also, what sayings are you using without having a clue what they really mean?

Affirmation: I embrace learning new things and ways of doing things!
Dream it, Believe it, Plan it, Achieve it!
Hugs, Kisses, Love and Positive Wishes,
Your Hypnocoach,
Amy Emme


No comments: